Thinking about switching to gas appliances may be a good option to lower expenditures at the same time as seeing gains in ease, efficiency and performance.
There is a plentiful supply of gas in the US meaning that equivalent prices are low and stable, and natural gas is considered the least polluting fossil fuel, consequently, it can be viewed as the least environmentally damaging alternative.
If you already have gas installed in your home, or are buying a new home you should think about the potential advantages of choosing gas and natural gas household appliances. Learn more about gas appliances below from Reliable Redding Appliance Repair:
What is a Natural Gas Appliance?
A gas appliance runs on gas as the main fuel source. Gas devices afford a viable alternative to electrically powered appliances for heating your living space, providing hot water, heating your food and even cooling your home and drying your clothes.
In most situations gas appliances nonetheless require an electricity supply but use gas as the major source of power. The quantity electricity needed depends on how the appliance works. E.g, a natural gas cooker will still operate even if the electricity cuts out, whereas a natural gas dryer still relies upon electrical components to make the drum turn.
A List of Devices That Use Gas
Gas is about more than cooking.
Heating your home with natural gas generally costs less than keeping warm using electricity. The difference can be up to 50% subject to your fuel prices and relative efficiency gains.
Gas heats the air in less time and offers better reliability.This is very handy if you for winter power outages
Aside from keeping your home warm natural gas is perfect for a log fire with real flames.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a gas fire, you still get that open fire feeling and a warm home without the fuss.
Natural gas air conditioners can be an adept way to cool your home.
Gas fueled air conditioning requires a higher initial investment but is better value on an ongoing basis meaning a better return on your investment. Higher effectiveness also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
Natural gas water boilers come in two main designs, tank heaters and non-tank or on-demand heaters. Gas heaters are more rapid and more productive than electric water boilers. Tankless water heaters also provide a continuous supply. Invaluable if you have a big household that appreciates long showers.
The fact that natural gas lines are generally hidden and guarded from the elements means you can still have heating even if you don’t have electricity.
We’ve all heard the saying “cooking with gas”. A gas company marketing line created to link gas to effectiveness and efficiency.
Regardless of the origin the saying has stuck around because it is valid. The majority of chefs and home cooks choose gas for the fact that they can vary the heat, and natural gas hobs are also a more cost effective way of turning energy into heat.
Natural gas might not be the immediate place your mind goes when it comes to drying clothes, however, natural gas dryers are a great choice. They heat the air a few degrees hotter thus drying clothes in less time.
You have to restrict your gas use to indoor appliances. Outside the home, gas is often used for lighting and cooking and can even be used to heat your spa.
Wow friends before they even reach the front door with outdoor lights, keep them toasty on cool evenings and get a meal prepared outside at the perfect temperature, whenever you are ready, and without the need to remember to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like indoor heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as rapidly as an electric equivalent. And gas fire pits give atmosphere as well as giving comfort for the best indoor-outdoor entertaining.
Benefits of Natural Gas Appliances
As in all things there are pros and cons to gas appliances. Here are some of the advantages.
- Natural gas is generally less expensive than electricity thus lowering your annual power costs.
- Gas devices tend to use less energy making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Natural gas is an eco-friendly selection as it is the least environmentally damaging of the fossil fuels, contributing around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less C02 than coal.
- Gas lines are generally more reliable and less susceptible to damage or interruption This means you can still heat water even if you get a power outage.
Disadvantages of Gas Home Appliances
- Natural gas devices tend to have a higher initial cost. Both the ticket price of the appliance and the associated installation costs are likely to be greater for a natural gas appliance when looking at next to electrical alternatives.
- Having a gas line installed if you don’t already have one can be expensive. The price will vary depending on how close the nearest supply is to your home, so it is worth talking to your energy company before deciding.
- Having a gas line moved or extended can also cost a considerable amount.
- Safety comes first and carbon monoxide can be an issue if natural gas appliances are not installed correctly or regularly maintained. making sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm is non-negotiable is you use natural gas in your home.
Should You Choose Natural Gas?
Making the decision between natural gas and electricity is not straightforward and the optimal choice for you might not be the right decision for everyone.
If your main driver is cost gas is currently the lower priced fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, switching to gas is expensive. Therefore, finding out how much a new gas line would cost if you don’t already have one is a good first step.
Another reason to choose gas is that you are less likely to get interruptions in supply. If power outages happen often in your area then having appliances that continue to work during power cuts can count for a lot.
Lastly, the sustainability credentials of gas may be relatively short term, as you can’t power them from renewable sources in the same way you can electrical devices. Choosing renewable energy could be less expensive and more eco-friendly options in the long run.